Star Barrels are types of barrels present in every level (excluding boss levels, Rickety Race and Stampede Sprint level) in the Donkey Kong Country series, Donkey Kong Land 2 and Donkey Kong Land III. In Donkey Kong Land, the checkpoints replace the Star Barrels.
It usually floats in midair, and cannot be lifted or used as a weapon- upon contact, it will shatter in a burst of sparkles (and wooden debris), indicating that the barrel was successfully used. It's purpose acts as a bit of a "checkpoint" or "continue point" in the levels, and are usually located around halfway through a level. When both Kongs die, they will break out of the barrel when they access the level again after breaking it.
There is a Star Barrel in every Candy's Save Point, this variety saves the player's data, and is unbreakable.
- Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
- "These barrels are decorated with a star design. If you knock out one of these barrels, you will restart at the barrel's location instead of beginning of the level when you lose a life."
- Donkey Kong Country (GBA)
- "Break open a star-spangled Continue Barrel to restart at that location the next time you lose a life."
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (GBA)
- "These barrels mark a midway point in the stage. If you break one, you'll continue at that point should you lose a life later in the level.
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (GBA)
- "These mark a midway point in the level. Break one to continue from that point if you lose a life before reaching the end."
- Initially, in DKC, the barrel's explosion had a different animation, with the sprites remaining in the game coding. 
|Transportation||Cannon • Biplane • Bonus • Booster • Diddy & Dixie • Funky • Ghost • Golden • Rocket • Rotatable • Steerable • Tracker • Warp|
|Projectiles||DK • Steel Keg • TNT • Vine|
|Enemies||Oil Drum • Belcha • Dumb Drum • Kaboom • Klasp • Klobber • Knocka • Kuchuka • Kracka|
|Player Status||Animal • Invincibility • Kong • Plus and Minus • Star • Style • Tag|
|Other Status||Check and X • Krochead • On & Off • Stop & Go • Switch|
|Fuel||Fuel • Ignition • Oil|
|Miscellaneous||Cranky's Training Barrel • Shield • Mega TNT|