Yoshi's Island DS is the direct sequel of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. This game has fewer levels, but has updated graphics, new babies (in addition to the classic babies), and a whole new adventure. The graphics still retain the trademark "pen and pencil" style of the original.
One of its new features is a museum of enemies in the game accessible at any time. In this museum all the enemies the Yoshis have defeated with Yoshi Eggs will appear here.
- Baby Mario – M Blocks can become stepping stones. A Yoshi can also dash at a great speed, allowing the Yoshi to escape from certain enemies. Yoshi can flutter farther than normal. His eggs bounce off walls.
- Baby Luigi - Kidnapped again just like in the original game. Luckily he hid in his blanket and wasn't spotted when Bowser and Kamek were checking the babies attempting to steal the Star Power from the Star Children.
- Baby Peach – With her parasol, Yoshi is able to flutter further and a bit higher. Her parasol can catch wind currents. Her eggs don't bounce off walls.
- Baby Donkey Kong – The current Donkey Kong's younger self. He can climb vines and chains, carrying Yoshi with him. He can also do a DK Dash Attack, defeating most enemies. His eggs don't bounce, but they go faster and create a miniature explosion that can grab more coins and even defeat enemies.
- Baby Wario – He carrying a magnet that attracts coins facing it (even through solid walls) and can move Magnet Blocks and Magnet Platforms. His eggs will bounce off of walls.
- Baby Bowser – He can breathe fire, but Yoshi cannot swallow any enemies. Often, though, a fire blast has the strength of an egg and the ability to melt ice, but the blasts don't bounce off walls.
- Baby Yoshi/Green Yoshi - The main character Yoshi (the playable Green Yoshi in the Yoshi games and the same character as the Baby Green Yoshi from Yoshi's Story) who very frequently appears in the main Mario titles and it's subsequent spin-off titles. Revealed at the end of the game, evidenced by him being picked up by the Stork and grouped together with the other Star Children and the last cutscene popping out of an egg (while still an adult) revealing his Star.